This light Soviet tank was adopted in 1941 and immediately put into production at three plants.
It boasted more powerful armor and weapons than its predecessor, as well as a new power plant which consisted of a pair of 6-cylinder carbureted engines providing up to 70 hp each. Its weaknesses were apparent even from its earliest deployment, and commanders often spoke of these tanks with contempt. In the postwar period, T-70s were used mainly as ARVs, tractors, and bridge layers. The tank was finally removed from service in April 1953.
In all there were 8231 units produced.
Secondary: 7.62mm DT