Howitzer sFH 18
The German 149mm
heavy field howitzer, manufactured by
Krupp and Rheinmetall. It was introduced in
1934, although according
to official documents the howitzer
entered service in 1918. This is due to the Treaty of Versailles,
which forbid Germany from producing
and developing artillery systems.
A total of 5,400 units were produced.
The abbreviation sFH is short for "schwere Feldhaubitze" or "heavy field howitzer." Throughout the war, the SFH.18 was used by numerous Wehrmacht artillery units, and represented itself admirably on the battlefield.