MENU

Allied Base

​155 mm Howitzer M114

Description

The American 155mm M1 howitzer was developed in 1941 to replace the obsolete 155mm Schneider howitzer. It received its designation and entered into service in 1942. From October 1942 to June 1945, a total of 4035 guns of this type were produced. The M1, along with the M2, was the most common U.S. field gun of the war.
After the Second World War, the U.S. howitzer was upgraded and renamed the M114. In this form it is still used by armies around the world, although the United States has ceased use of these artillery units.
Outside the U.S., several modifications of the M114 have been developed. These units remain in service in France, Holland, Italy, Israel, Taiwan, and the former Yugoslavia.